Friday, October 11, 2013

Thai Basil Chicken


It's only been a month since I've been away from home but I'm sorta missing my favorite foods already.

Okay.  That's a big fat lie.

I miss it terribly.

Foods that make me dreamy eyed when I think about them then my mouth starts to water like crazy, my stomach starts to make strange noises even when I'm not hungry.

Take this Binagoongang Baboy ni Kaka for instance.  

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_I-j8mjVehI/UhiR5AqfPtI/AAAAAAAAGmw/bqJpPQ3NVVc/s1600/binagoongan3.jpg

Whoa, shockingly wonderful flavors in just one dish! Juicy pork belly chunks swimming in sweet, spicy, salty shrimp paste...God help me.

My dear fatty pork, you and I are going to have a BIG reunion when I get back. I know the hubby doesn't fancy you but I haven't forgotten all about you. We have unfinished business to do, you and I.

And what about this?  After all, Thai food has always had a special spot in my heart. 

Basil Chicken (or Gai Pad Krapow) -from Mae Krua Thai Restaurant-
For such a simple and rustic dish, it is incredibly satisfying. And your kitchen will smell so goood from all that cooked basil!
 
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nHa5klgJvzI/UdZ4vf7F10I/AAAAAAAAF04/3eRvbvPAnVQ/s1037/chickenbasil1txt.jpg

Dilemma, Dilemma

Since I'm 1,000,000,000 miles away from MESA or  Krua Thai....  

Moving on! 

What do you do when your favorite restaurants are too far out of reach? 

Google

For a recipe that could perhaps be the closest thing you can get to the real thing, especially when you find yourself in another continent.

Then you get your lazy butt over to the kitchen to start cooking.

THAI BASIL CHICKEN
serves 2-3

2 large chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces
1 onion, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
3-4 dried chilies, minced/crushed(more if you like it really SPICY)
2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed

Sauce:
2 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp ketcap manis  (thick Indonesian slightly sweet soy sauce)
2-3 tsp sugar
2-3 tsp cornstarch ( I used flour. )
pinch of black pepper


Prepare your ingredients. 
Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Set aside.

Saute the garlic with the crushed chili in olive oil for a minute or two on medium heat until it smells fragant.

Then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the chicken to the hot pan and stir fry until it is almost done, about 3-4 minutes.


Add the bell peppers. Stir fry for 1 minute. 
Pour in the sauce. Stir and mix well. Cook for another minute or until the sauce thickens up a bit.


Add in the basil leaves. Mix well. Cook for 30 seconds until they start to wilt and become fragant.


Remove from the heat and serve with hot rice.


And just like that, you have a delicious, speedy and restaurant-worthy Thai dinner at home.